Which best sensitive skin wash, shampoo, soap, cleanser, exfoliator or conditioner should you go for? Which ingredients should you avoid and which ones will be ok? What about top brands?. As you choose on the best different skin care products for sensitive skin including soaps, shampoos, skin washes, cleansers, toners or even creams, lotions, moisturizer, sunscreens, shaving razors, shaving creams, etc. You need to ensure they meet some basic criteria if they are to protect your skin that might be very sensitive i.e. they should:
- Bring back the natural sensitive skin protective barrier, make it stronger or protect this barrier
- Easy any inflammations you might be having as well as soothe your fragile nerve endings
- Ensure you skin is adequately moisturized as dryness can cause sensitive skins.
- They should not have any allergens, preservatives, fragrances or any other ingredient that might irritate your skin.
Now to be specific, when choosing the best sensitive skin washes, shampoos, soaps and tones, you need to ensure these products are able to purify your skin i.e. remove all impurities in your skin for it to start a fresh.
- General Chemicals to Checkout in Sensitive Skins Cleansing Products
- Sensitive Skin Cleansers – Soap, Soap Free, Gels and Body Washes
- Other Cleansers for Sensitive Skins – Other Top Brands
- Shampoo for Sensitive Skins – Top Brands to Use
- Best Hair Conditioner for Sensitive Skins – Top Brands
- Best Sensitive Skins Toner – Top Brands
- Best Exfoliators for Sensitive Skins
- Showering Tips for Sensitive Skins
General Chemicals to Checkout in Sensitive Skins Cleansing Products
It is important to ensure you check for ingredients such as sodium lauryl sulfate that is common in most shampoos, body washes, facial cleansers and soaps. This powerful emulsifier is likely to irritate your skin.
Furthermore, some soaps and cleansing agents might have bacterial agents that cause drying such as triclosan and tetrasodium EDTA. Using products with these ingredients will only cause your skin to dry further since most sensitive skins are also dry skins.
These are not the only chemicals or ingredients you should checkout. Ensure you also checkout for the presence of other allergens that can cause reactions, dryness, irritation or redness in sensitive skins.
Sensitive Skin Cleansers – Soap, Soap Free, Gels and Body Washes
If you have a sensitive skin, using the ordinary household soaps and cleanser could damage your skin and cause dryness. Stop using any of the deodorant soaps, those with alcohol or anti bacterial fighting elements. These soaps should be free of some preservatives such as parabens, Quaternium-15, imidazolidinyl urea, DMDM hydantoin, methylchloroisothiazolinone, phenoxyethanol, and formaldehyde
All the above ingredients will strip the essential oils on your skin that form a protective layer leaving your sensitive skin more vulnerable.
Go for soaps that have less alkali content as they have been found to irritate the skin less. It is highly recommended you go for soap free and non-alkaline cleansers. Generally, the liquid cleansers as well as some moisturizing bars are often considered as the best or least irritating. Furthermore, if you can get a preservative free soap, it will be a good idea.
Best Bar Soaps for Sensitive Skins – Top Brands
The specific soaps you decide to use are very important if you have a sensitive type of skin. Just like the other skin care products for sensitive skin, you need to ensure they are free from any synthetic fragrances, preservative, detergent soaps, color additives, preservatives, or any other artificial additive that might affect your sensitive type of skin.
Some of the most recommended and best soaps for sensitive skin include:
- Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar
- Dove Sensitive Skin Bar Soap Purpose Bar Soap
- Dove Bar Soap Sensitive Skin Unscented
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Body Bar Soap
- Dudu Osun Black Soap
- Nubian Heritage Bar Soap
- Aveeno Moisturizing Bar Soap
- Zest Aqua Pure
- Pear’s Natural Glycerin Transparent Soap
- Basis Sensitive Skin Bar Soap
- Simple Pure Soap Bar for Sensitive Skins
When choosing sensitive skin soap, it is advisable to go for bar soaps and not liquid soaps since liquid soaps have a tendency of leaving a thing film that might clog pores or worsen breakouts
Best Body Washes for Sensitive Skin and Shower Gels – Top Brands
If you prefer body washes or shower gels, you need to ensure they too do not have any of the mentioned ingredients and they are scent free (fragrances), alcohol, dyes, anti bacterial agents, shea and cocoa butter (clog pores thus result in acne on sensitive skins) or any other ingredient that might irritate sensitive skins.
If you do not know what they are, shower gels and body washes are simply liquids and gels you can use to wash your whole body. Some of the best body washes for sensitive skin you should consider buying include the following:
- AVEENO® Skin Relief Body Wash
- Dove Body Wash with NutriumMoisture, Sensitive Skins
- Dove Sensitive Skin Nourishing Body Wash
- Tom’s of Maine Natural Moisturizing Body Wash
- Jason Natural Cosmetics Fragrance Free Satin Shower Body Wash
- Organic Body Wash & shower gel – Mom, Baby, Sensitive skins
- Sanex Zero Sensitive Skin Shower Gel
- Nivea Sanex Zero Sensitive type of Skin Shower Gel
- Sanex Zero Sensitive type of Skin Shower Gel
- Bath & Shower Gel for Sensitive type of Skin
These are not the only best body washes for sensitive skin. You will find many others in the market. Try to go for clear and colorless ones if possible.
Best Facial Cleansers for Sensitive Skin
To specifically cleanse your face, consider using some of the below best facial cleansers for sensitive skin.
- Jason Fragrance-Free Facial Cleanser
- Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes
- Burt’s Bees Sensitive Facial Cleanser
- Olay – Foaming Face Wash—Sensitive type of Skins
- L’Oreal Go 360 Clean Deep Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skins
These are not the only best facial cleansers for skins that are sensitive, there are many other products in the market which will give you excellent results.
Other Cleansers for Sensitive Skins – Other Top Brands
For cleansing your body, some of the other best cleansers you should consider trying including the following:
- VMV Hypoallergenics Mild-Mannered Cleansing Scrub, $20.
- La Roche-Posay Physiological Micellar Solution.
- Clinique redness solutions cleanser and moisturizer
- Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser
- Moisturel Sensitive type of Skin Cleanser
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser
- Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream
- Cetaphil Cleanser
- Free & Clear Liquid Cleanser, For Sensitive Skins
- Aveda All-Sensitive™ Cleanser
- Clean & Clear ® Foaming Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skins
- SkinMedica Sensitive Skin Cleanser
Shampoo for Sensitive Skins – Top Brands to Use
When you have a skin that is sensitive, you should choose all your skin care products with care. Many people often go for moisturizers, lotions or creams that are suited for such a skin type but they forget their hair care product. This is why they end up irritating their scalps.
You should therefore ensure that all you hair care products including shampoos are for sensitive type of skin. We have already discussed razor and shaving for sensitive skin. We not want to focus on shampoos for sensitive skin you should use.
When choosing the best shampoos for sensitive skin, avoid some ingredients such as sodium lauryl sulfate, petroleum and propylene glycol and sodium laureth sulfate, as they are likely to affect your skin that is sensitive. You should also look at any other irritants and allergen in shampoos including preservatives as they too can cause sensitive skin reactions.
Instead, the best shampoos for sensitive skin should be based on lemon, zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, jojoba oil etc to avoid having an itchy and sensitive scalp.
For a great looking skin that is sensitive, some of the best sensitive skin shampoo brands you should give a try include the following:
- Free & Clear Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
- Cleaure Sensitive Skin Shampoo
- ABBA Pure Gentle Soothing Shampoo for Sensitive Skin and Scalp
- California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo and Bodywash No Fragrance
- Herbal Glo Sensitive Hair and Scalp Shampoo
- L’Occitane Anti-dandruff Shampoo for Sensitive Scalp
- Karastase Dermo-Calm Moisturizing Shampoo
- L’Occitane Aromachologie Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Finesse Clean and Simple Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Wella Biotouch Balanced Sensitive Scalp Shampoo
Even though the above best shampoos for sensitive skin work for many people, you still need to test for any reaction before trying them. It is worthwhile noting that when choosing the best shampoo for sensitive skin, you need to consider your hair type too.
Best Hair Conditioner for Sensitive Skins – Top Brands
To help protect your skin, get a good hair conditioner for sensitive skin. Of course, as a rule, you need to look at ingredients present and ensure they will not irritate your skin. Some of the best hair conditioners for sensitive skin you should go for include the following:
- Free & Clear Hair Conditioner for Sensitive type of Skin
- Cleure Sensitive Skin Conditioner
- Rhythmic Conditioner ( For Sensitive type of Skin )
- Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner
If you want to a conditioner for your sensitive skin, consider going for brands such as Albion Essential Skin Conditioner and Nivea In-Shower Moisturiser Skin Conditioner.
Best Sensitive Skins Toner – Top Brands
To help cleanse your skin and shrink the pores on your skin, you need a good sensitive skin toner. Just like any other sensitive skin care products, ingredients contained should be tolerated by your skin. Some of the best sensitive skin conditioners you should go for include:
- CLEAN & CLEAR® ESSENTIALS Deep Cleaning Toner Sensitive type of Skins
- Avene Gentle Toner, For Dry and Very Sensitive Skin
- Clean and Clear Essentials Deep Cleaning Toner for Sensitive type of Skins
- Rose Gentle Toner for Sensitive Skins
- Aloette – Sensitive Skin Toner
- Soothing Facial Toner by Simple
- Facial Toner for Sensitive Skins
- Organic Soothe Toner for Sensitive type of Skin
- Olay Oil Minimizing Toner
Best Exfoliators for Sensitive Skins
Having a sensitive skin does not mean you do not need to exfoliate it. You need to get rid of the old dead skin on your outermost skin layer on your both face and body. Skin exfoliation is very important, as it will help make your skin cells younger, reveals fresher and younger cells etc. See more on skin exfoliating including types, steps, benefits and a much more.
If you are looking for the best exfoliators for sensitive skin, it is generally advisable to for enzyme exfoliator type instead of chemical or scrubs. Enzymes will slowly dissolve away the dead skin without affecting your sensitive skin.
Now, going to the best brands of exfoliators for sensitive skins, some of the most recommended products and brands include the following:
- Jurlique Fruit Enzyme Exfoliator
- Clinique – Sparkle Skin Body Exfoliator
- Alba Botanica Sea Enzyme Facial Scrub
- Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel
- Clean & Clear Morning Burst Facial Scrub
You can also try some homemade exfoliators for sensitive skins, which many people have found to work effectively. Some of the natural or homemade sensitive skin exfoliators you should try include the following:
- Oatmeal-Honey Exfoliator For Face (For Face, Neck, Chest)
- Aloe Vera-Sugar Exfoliator For Face
- Wheat Germ-Honey Exfoliator For Face
- Red Grapes And Aloe Vera Exfoliator For Face
- Yogurt-Honey Exfoliator For Face
Ensure you are gentle when exfoliating your skin to avoid depleting the protective layer on your outermost skin part, stop using any exfoliator that causes irritation, exfoliate at least once in a week and always ensure you moisturize your skin adequately after exfoliation.
Showering Tips for Sensitive Skins
When taking a shower, here are some important tips that will ensure minimum reaction of your sensitive skin:
- When taking a shower, you need to avoid too hot or cold showers. People normally shower with lukewarm water.
- Gently dry your skin by patting it. Avoid the vigorous back and forth movements
- Get a good moisturizer for sensitive skin and apply it
We did not go into the trouble of taking you through the steps for caring for your sensitive skin, which include things such as cleansing, exfoliating, hydrating, treating, toning, etc since we have covered them in details on how to care for your skin.
Suggested Further Reading on Sensitive Skin
- Best Sensitive Skin Sunscreen, Razor and Shaving Creams
- Best Sensitive Skin Care Products You Must Have – Creams, Moisturizers, Lotions
- Best Sensitive Skin Foundation, Concealer, Primer and Makeup Removers
- Sensitive Skin Meaning, Characteristics, Care and Makeup Tips
- Best Acne Treatment for Sensitive Skin –Steps for Acne Prone Sensitive Skin Cleansing, Toning, Moisturizing Products