Are you looking for best makeup for sensitive skin? We have insight on makeup options for this type of skin including best foundations, concealers, makeup removers, and primers and so on.
When you have a sensitive skin, you need to be very careful about how you choose the makeup you wear.
You also need to ensure that the makeup you use does not affect you. This can be done by first doing an allergic reaction test.
We will begin by looking at the general guidelines for wearing makeup before going to specific makeup types such as concealers, foundations, primers, etc and their best brands
Wearing makeup for sensitive skin
For people who love makeup and they have a sensitive skin, here are some of the important guidelines that could help them reduce irritation:
- Face foundations – Go for face powders that have very few ingredients, as this will ensure less irritation. Furthermore, ensure you go for silicone-based face foundations since they often cause very little irritation.
- Waterproof makeup and cosmetics – Always avoid using waterproof eyeshadow, eyeliner or any other face waterproof makeup, as they will need a special cleansing or makeup remover that might irritate your skin.
- Few Ingredients – It is wise to go for makeup that has less than 10 ingredients
- Eyeliners– Always go for eyeliners that are hypoallergenic, preferably good quality pencil eyeliners since liquid eyeliners might have latex that often causes allergic reactions.
- Eyebrow Makeup – Just as in the case of eyeliner makeup, go for eyebrow pencils instead of liquid or gel eyebrow makeup.
- Eyeshadow – When choosing the best eyeshadow to use, go for earth-toned since they are less irritating and apply them on your upper eyelids. On your lower eyelids, you can go for navy blue eyeshadow colors. They too contain less irritating ingredients.
- Nail Polishes – Avoid using nail polish if you are likely to touch your face or eyes as they might cause irritations.
- Dispose of old makeup – If you have eyeliners, eyeshadow, eyebrow makeup, face makeup or mascara, etc that you are not using, always throw them away.
To being with on makeup for sensitive skin, if you are fond of eyeshadows, you need to ensure the specific best eyeshadow you are using does not contain Ultramarine blue common in blue eyeshadows. Instead, go for beige or neutral eyeshadows that have lesser irritating chemicals.
Another ingredient common in makeup is mica, which are particles that reflect light common in mineral makeup and powders for bronzing, especially in mineral eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara. According to Zoe Draelos, M.D., Duke University School of Medicine consulting professor, mica, a light-reflecting particle with chemical properties, is found in mineral makeup and bronzing powder and it can be a big itch inducer.”
Still, on makeup, you need also to check for the presence of bismuth oxychloride. This ingredient is particularly used to make or increase the sheen property of face, lip or eye makeup. Zoe Draelos reports that “unfortunately, these ingredients are found in products we aggressively rub in with a brush, which exacerbates the irritation by pushing the product deep into the pores”
It is therefore recommended you go for liquid bronzers, blushes, and foundations, which will not be, placate your skin will be good.
If you are fond of using face primers, you need to ensure you have gone for the right type that will not affect your skin. Some of the best primer for sensitive skins you should consider include the following:
- Make Up For Ever All Mat Foundation Primer
- Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer
- LORAC “I” So Sensitive Soothing Face Primer
- LORAC POREfection Mattifying face primer
- Tarte BB Tinted Treatment 12-Hour Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen
- Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Protective Base SPF 15
- Sephora Collection Silicone Free Foundation Primer
- Too Faced Primed & Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer
- Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Oil Free
These are just but a few of the best or top brands. There are equally brands you may find out in the market. Your dermatologist can advise you on which ones will be ideal.
Concealers are much like foundation and they will help hide any imperfections on your skin such as pimples, dark circles under eyes, under eye wrinkles, or any other blemishes. They differ slightly from the foundation since foundation help in balancing your skin tone, adding glow and they can help cover blemishes too.
Some of the best concealers brands you should consider going for include the following:
- LORAC’s Double Feature Oil-Free Concealer / Highlighter
- COVERGIRL CG Smoothers Concealer
- Maybelline Mineral Power Natural Perfecting Concealer
- Origins Quick Hide! Long-Wearing Concealer
- Lavera Skin Care Liquid Concealer No. 2
- Glominerals Camouflage Oil-Free Concealer
- Lorac Oil-Free Neutralizer
- Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Concealer SPF 20
- Bare Minerals Multi-Tasking SPF 20 Concealer
These are not the only best concealer brands in the market; there are many others, which will really help you. Ensure you read reviews and see ratings before settling on a certain best concealer brand.
Best foundation and powders
Foundations are part of the important makeup that every woman should consider since they help in hiding any imperfections that someone might be having and creates a perfect, even and uniform color and complexion that will cover any flaws.
If you are looking for the best brands for a skin that is very sensitive, we are going to give you some of the best foundations that will not react including powders.
a). Best foundations
Generally, you need to avoid products, which have ingredients such as fragrances, cinnamates, helioplex, sorbic acid, mineral oils and lanolin as they have found to cause reactions to many people.
Other than checking out for these ingredients, you still need to test them.
We reviewed a number of products and came up with the below list as some of the best foundations that most users have highly rated. So what are some these brands you should you use?
- Cover Girl Clean Makeup, Buff Beige
- Bobbi Brown “Skin Foundation SPF 15”
- Clean Liquid Makeup
- LORAC’s Natural Performance Foundation
- LORAC’s Oil-Free Wet/Dry Powder
B). Best powder foundations
When you are looking for powder foundation, you must buy something that will be good for your sensitive skin. Some of the best powder brands you should give a try include the following:
- CoverGirl Clean Pressed Powder
- Maybelline New York Mineral Power Powder Foundation
- L’Oreal Paris True Match Naturale Mineral Foundation
- Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation
- Trish McEvoy Mineral Powder Foundation
Best makeup removers
If you have a sensitive skin, you cannot use any makeup remover that anyone uses. You need to go for makeup removers those that will work well for your skin type.
To give you some of the examples of the brands, here is what you can go for:
- Makeup Remover Towelettes
- Olay Daily Facials Express-
- Garnier Makeup Removers
- Simple Sensitive Skin Expert Eye Make-Up Remover
- Sensitive Skin Oil-Free Makeup Remover
- Gatineau Serenite Soothing Make Up Remover For Sensitive Skins
- CoverGirl Clean Makeup f
- Klorane Soothing Make-up Remover Lotion.
However, ensure you know how to remove makeup properly since doing it wrongly might not give you best results even if you use the right removers.